Monday, June 7, 2010

Hello

Well here I am, 5 days into my work out. I'm looking to drop some weight pretty fast, and after starting last Thursday I have already dropped 4 pounds. I'm currently weighed in at 197. I'm looking to see how much weight I can drop in 9 weeks. While my goal is reaching 170 by that time, it is a pretty lofty goal to say the least. Most searches you do online say to lose about 2 and a half pounds a week. So to reach my goal of 170 after starting at 201 would require me to lose about 3 and 1/3 pounds a week.

The plan is pretty simple, I'm on a pretty simple diet with an emphasis on protein intake. I'm not ignoring carbs or fats by any means, however I'm trying to stick around 1500 calories a day. I'm worried a little bit about losing muscle mass while I do this, but considering it has been about 4 years since I've worked out seriously, I don't think there is a whole lot of muscle to lose right now.

Lifting will occur 4 days a week. I would prefer to have these days be MTTHF, but you never know how the week is going to shape out. Lifting sessions will be split into 2 different work outs. Back Chest and triceps on one day, legs shoulders and biceps on the next. I will probably mark what I consider milestones in my lifting gains on this blog, but I won't have a chart up or anything.

The main reason for this decision to get back into shape is my love for running. 4 or so years ago one of my favorite hobbies was just leaving my house and trying to see how far I could run. I think running is one of the ultimate work outs. It doesn't require a dvd or music or anything. I don't like running on treadmills, I like being out in the open, battling whatever elements are there. Running can help so many muscles out that I think it's pretty stupid to ignore this type of workout. I'm not a big stationary bike guy or anything like that. So the plan is to find time to run 7 days a week. I have a goal I'm trying to reach after all and another one of my goals is to get back the stamina I had oh so many years ago. So far it has been rough. Considering I have been smoking for the past years as well.

However today when I ran I noticed progress and this will keep me motivated. The plan really is to find a way to be active outside for 40 plus minutes. Whether it's jogging, or having to walk as long as I'm outside moving for 40 minutes straight I'll be happy with what I'm doing, and the results will pay off in the end I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment